Papua new Guinea
Where is Paupa New Guinea?
The Church in PNG
Quick Facts & the Language
Issues of the SteffeScope from PNG
Bruce will be helping at the Kudjip Nazarene Hospital. It is the only hospital supported by the Church of the Nazarene World Mission Division. Learn More.
While in PNG, Bruce took the opportunity to capture the mission on film. Here, we've made the photo album available online. (Some of these pictures are medical in nature; some guests may want to use discretion in opening those photos.)
SP in Afghanistan
This is 2002 material from Samaritan's Purse that explained their efforts there:
- The newly appointed interim Government of Afghanistan has highlighted the health and education sectors as most critical in the rebuilding process.
- Samaritan’s Purse is focusing interventions efforts in Kholm, a village of about 85,000, located in the Samangan Province in Northern Afghanistan. It is about 40 kilometers from Mazar-e Sharif in the northern part of the country.
- This area (Kholm district) has been assessed by the UN/World Food Program as an area where 80% of the population is considered vulnerable and in need of assistance.
- Samaritan’s Purse has committed to establishing and supporting a 20-bed hospital and rehabbing the existing clinic. This will be the centerpiece of the program, but long-term plans are to hand both clinic and hospital operation and management to the Ministry of Public Health.
- Samaritan’s Purse has also committed to rehabilitate three of the local schools, and provide them with scholastic materials. The Kholm High School (previously a boy’s school), will integrate girls and teach over 2,000 students the Intermediate School will remain a boy’s school, and teach up to 1,400 boys. The Girls School will remain a girl’s school, and teach 600 students.
- Samaritan’s Purse personnel and volunteers will live and work in Kholm, and maintain its operational and administrative center in Mazar-I-Sharif. Kholm staff consists of medical personnel, logistician, engineer and program officer.
- Because assessment results indicate that Kholm is an area of high vulnerability, other interventions being discussed and pursued are:
- inclusion of a supplementary/therapeutic feeding program within the clinic functions.
- mobile clinics
- community health visits
- And because Samaritan’s Purse will establish a presence in the village of Kholm, there may opportunities for women’s projects (kitchen gardening, silk worm, literacy).
- The United Kingdom’s DFID (Department for International Development) has supported Samaritan’s Purse’s efforts in Kholm with two grants: 30,000 for the high school, and 20,000 for the clinic refurbishing. Approximately $85,000 is needed to complete the renovation of the five buildings.