Dear Friends and Family:
It has been hectic month since our last newsletter and we are looking forward to this beautiful fall weekend to just relax a bit, watch a bit of football, do a few fall maintenance chores and spend time with family. Tomorrow is our church homecoming, celebrating 50 years of existence. Many of the old pastors are returning and we are having a dinner on the grounds.
The last weekend of September was the PAACS program director retreat. Not all could come from Africa, but many did (combining it with the American College of Surgery Meeting in Chicago the next week). Held in Wheaton, IL, it was a great time of fellowship and discussion as we wrestled with budgetary and training issues.
Home from that meeting on late Sunday evening, the next Thursday I drove to Asheville to the Cove Training Center for the Prescription for Renewal Meeting. I spoke both Thursday night and Friday afternoon during the Medical Missions Seminar before participating in the fully-attended Prescription for Renewal from Friday evening until Saturday morning. Part of my presentation was about PAACS and it generated some significant interest. I was able to, as I often do at this conference, counsel some couples who are seriously considering making the second half of their life more significant than their first. This is the first time that Micky was not able to attend with me (Sean had school and my folks were unable to come down as they have done for the past 14 years). I missed her.
Ongoing teaching efforts, fund-raising efforts for PAACS and wrapping up my graduate courses for my Masters in Arts (Biblical Ministries) have kept me busy in between conferences. I wrapped up the course with a 39 page paper on the social gospel and today’s evangelical (I got a bit carried away but really learned a lot in writing it). I only have four more undergraduate courses to take in the next few years and I am finally done. We sent out almost 4,500 fund-raising letters this week, each stuffed with a beautiful full-color printed edition of the 100th PAACS Bulletin (let me know if you would like one). I also received an unexpected call from a New Yorker who wants to use his sport-celebrity web-based company to promote PAACS. He is not a Christian but strongly believes in what we are doing in Africa. His first comment to me on the phone was something like, “PAACS is saving more lives per dollar than anything else in Africa.” He is going to host an auction for a day with Rusty Wallace, the NASCAR driver, and pay Wallace’s fee. All income will go to PAACS. He wants to do this with several others and we are looking for the names of people to suggest to him. If you have ideas of a sport celebrity that would be of interest (in my mind, Christian would be better), please let me know. If you would like to look over the website, go to www.thuzio.com and look at the bottom left for “live auctions”. The one with Wallace will be posted soon.
Sean is doing well, now truly taller than his mother and thriving in sixth grade. He had a very good report card and is a truly neat young man.
Praise and Prayer:
- Please pray for my father Carl. He was admitted to the hospital this week with chest pain. The good news is that he didn’t have coronary disease but they are having trouble controlling the pain. He didn’t go home today as hoped. Pray for strength and clarity of thought for my mother as well.
- Please pray for Micky as she tries to reorganize the PAACS financial record-keeping and as we continue to look for an accountant to volunteer to run Quickbooks Pro after January.
- Please pray for me as I study the next four weeks for my general surgery recertification exam.
- Pray for God to provide financial donors for both PAACS and for our ministry (S3 Ministries).
- Pray for us as we prepare for the PAACS semi-annual business meeting in Chicago November 2 and 3rd and for the following week’s Global Health Mission Conference (www.medicalmissions.com) in Louisville, KY. You are invited to the Friend of PAACS dinner to be held Saturday, November 10 – please contact Terry.McLamb@paacs.net to let her know you are interested in attending.
Continuing to run the race,
Bruce for Micky and Sean