What Others Have Said about Medical Missions: Get Ready, Get Set, GO!
"When your book arrived last week, I almost read through it in one sitting. It is wonderfully and clearly written and expresses deep insight into the important issues. I hope it will have wide circulation." -- An unsolicited testimonial from Dr. Richard Topazian, previously a missionary dental surgeon to India
“Dr. Bruce Steffes has walked in the footsteps of the Great Physician for many years, serving in some of the difficult outposts around the world. Compelled by Christ’s command 'to go into all nations and preach the Gospel,' Bruce has assembled a handbook based on his experiences as a short-term medical missionary.
“For those who are contemplating missionary medicine, your emotions will be stirred by Bruce’s first-hand accounts, your mind will be put at easy by the practical suggestions he shares, and your heart will be prepared to receive God’s blessing by reading biblical passages that moved Dr. Steffes from the western world of medicine to the cutting edge of being the hands of Christ in a darkened world, crying out for a healing touch from the Savior.
“If you are considering short-term medical missions, this book is for you. So Get Ready, Get Set, and GO! May God bless and use you to make a world of difference you never thought possible.”
Franklin Graham, President, Samaritan’s Purse and World Medical Mission
“Providing healthcare overseas is daunting. Medical Missions: Get Ready, Get Set, Go!is the short term medical mission “GPS” that will guide you every step of the way to successful service and ministry. You would be foolish to leave home without it.”
Dr. David Stevens, CEO, Christian Medical and Dental Association (ex-missionary to Kenya, previous director of World Medical Mission and author of "Jesus MD")
“This unique book fills a need in the evangelical medical missions community. Short term mission agencies can and should use it liberally to prepare not only their medical volunteers, but all professionals, especially those going for more than "missionary tourism." It should be a requirement for short term missionaries planning to serve for more than 1 -2 months. It is a must read for missionaries preparing for service or newly-arrived on the field.
• The story about the unreached tribe is a great one and wonderfully told. So was the story about changing the oil--I loved it and identified with it immediately, having changed my own oil this week while feeling quite sorry for myself and fighting indignation every step of the process!
• The story about changed priorities is almost identical to one I experienced – tragic, unforgettable, and transformational.
• The chapters on choosing a mission and raising your own support are priceless. They are the perfect answers to the question, "So you want to be a medical missionary?" They are worth the price of the book.
• I have been a medical missionary for 31 years, but that did not keep me from learning some great new methods for sharing Christ with my patients in the "Personal Witnessing" chapter!
• The "Other Things One Could Do" chapter is just what I have been looking for to give newly-arrived missionaries where only one is a medical professional. In fact, the entire book is something newly-arrived career missionaries would benefit from reading.”
Dr. David Thompson, missionary surgeon and author of “On Call”
“Dr Steffes has covered important ground in the field of medical missions with this comprehensive book. The stories will grab your heart and the content will challenge you to GO with intelligence, compassion, and most importantly, with a desire to represent Christ.”
Dr. Glenn Strauss, Senior V.P. of Health Care Initiatives, Mercy Ships
“If you are feeling a little like Mr. Stanley trying to find your modern day Dr. Livingstone out there in the middle of the jungle, congratulations, you have just picked up the perfect guide book to help you get there. Your guide is Dr. Bruce Steffes who fought through many obstacles and unknowns to come and help this beleaguered surgeon as a wonderful answer to prayer. This book is the only book of its kind to help you successfully trek your way to be a wonderful blessing to a medical missionary team that is praying fervently for help. Allowing God to use you and your gifts will be a blessing beyond your imagination. I Cor 2:9.”
Dr. Robert Cropsey, missionary surgeon and International Director of Medical Enlistment, ABWE (Association of Baptists for World Evangelism”